Many thanks to Andrew Hill or George Hill and Co of Loughborough for hosting a Zoom tasting of South African wines.
Details of the wines presented were:
Quando Sauvignon Blanc
- The vineyard and winery is owned by the descendants of the original French Bruere family that settled on this property in the 1700’s, Fanus and Martin Bruwer head up family’s wine making business six generations later.
- Since we started making wine in 2001 our Sauvignon Blanc has been a real crowd pleaser. It is light green in colour with exotic forthcoming frangipani flower, passionfruit and white peach on the nose. Flinty minerally notes on the pallet follow through with a crisp acidity. Delicious juicy green fruit flavours round it off elegantly.
Jordan Black Magic
- Gary and Kathy Jordan have been making world-class wines since 1993 on a farm with a history going back over 300 years. He’s a geologist, she’s an economist – together this husband and wife team is a phenomenon. From the Jordan hillside vineyards, one has spectacular panoramic views of Table Mountain, False Bay and Stellenbosch.
- Their focus is on producing fiercely individual wines that combine the fruity accessibility of the New World with the Classic Elegance of the Old.
False Bay Wild Bunch O V Cinsault
- Whole Bunch Cinsault Mourvèdre is not cobbled together from off-cuts of leftover red and white wine. Nor is it over-cropped red grapes pressed aggressively to maximise juice yield and confected aromas. The wine comes from low-yielding, coastal vineyards, delicately whole-bunch basket pressed for only the purest juice. A fine wine that happens to be pink.